Okay, here's the deal: You surf and scan and post and view all day long. Suddenly, your eyes turn red and your hands get carpal tunnel from all that squinting and clicking! I offer you a place for you to kick back, relax, toss back a (virtual) cold one or two, and just chill. So kick off your shoes at my little rest stop along the Information Superhighway!

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Temecula - Day One

Today, I experienced working a construction site for the first time. My personal contribution was minor, but I was out there all day, and I have the sunburned arms and neck to prove it!

I took these pictures with my cell phone camera to show what went on today. Both of them are of the trench we dug out to expose a section of damaged pipe near Lake Skinner (northeast of Temecula), which serves San Diego County.

Around midnight last night, this pipeline was shut down for repairs here and at a site about two miles due south. That site is in a residential area, so if you live out there, bear with us; we'll be out in about a week! :)

Anyway, the first picture shows the excavator digging out the pipeline. If you look carefully, you can see a seam in the pipeline on the lower-left corner. Another seam is visible near the far end of the exposed pipe. This section is in need of replacement, and that's why we are there.

The second shot shows the excavator from a more dramatic angle -- inside the trench itself! I was standing on the pipe when I took this picture. As I left, the crew had positioned the crane, a platform, and some ladders for more detailed work around the pipe before cutting it open. We are working around the clock to complete this job as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I won't be able to see what this site will look like tomorrow, because I have to be at MWD Headquarters in Los Angeles for further training. Then, on Thursday, I will be back in Temecula until the job is finished.

It's times like this I wish I had a notebook, but I am still tethered to the Internet via desktop units. Who knows? I might get lucky and find the library! But I wouldn't count on it.

No comments: