Okay, here's the deal: You surf and scan and post and view all day long. Suddenly, your eyes turn red and your hands get carpal tunnel from all that squinting and clicking! I offer you a place for you to kick back, relax, toss back a (virtual) cold one or two, and just chill. So kick off your shoes at my little rest stop along the Information Superhighway!

Saturday, June 2, 2007

No Rest for the Wicked

My brother called me today.

He asked me what I was doing, and I said I was working. "What, the pizza thing?" he asked. I said yes, and he exclaimed "Jeez, don't you ever take a day off?"

Now, Scott, I know you will find your way here sooner or later, so please don't take this the wrong way. When you are gainfully employed, and it doesn't matter as what (as long as it's legal), you can ask me that question. But until then, don't say a damn thing.

I work two jobs for one reason and one reason only: to save up money for my own place. In April, I found myself on the short end of the proverbial stick when I discovered that the guy from whom I had been renting a room was a con artist (I will talk about that later). Currently, I am "house-sitting" at a place my mother and her fiance just purchased, until I have enough to once again leave the nest. I'm about 1/4 of the way there now (I hope). The pizza job allows me to have some pocket money during the week, while the MWD job is for the bills and for saving for a new place. See? I told you I have this thing figured out!

Scott, on the other hand, tends to fly by the seat of his pants. Nothing personal, bro, but you haven't been able to hold a job for more than a few months. You are impulsive, temperamental, and unfocused, and you continually have issues with nearly every kind of authority figure, especially in the workplace. I bet that as you're reading this, you're thinking I am a jerk for "speaking out against you". But the truth is, dude, right now you're a wannabe drama queen and you need to get a grip.

You're trying to make it big in Hollywood. That's great. I hope you do make it. But in the meantime, I think IMDb needs to erase nearly every single "credit" you posted on your profile. If they paid attention to every bit player who had walk-on and background roles in every movie and TV-show ever produced, they'd need to upgrade their systems every week just to keep up! Is it untrue that you worked on Adam Sandler's "The Longest Yard"? No. But just because you were No. 96 on the guards' team, it doesn't entitle you to a listing on IMDb! Once you get a speaking role, IMDb will put it on for you, because THEN you're name WILL BE LISTED in the CREDITS. See how it works now? Besides, half of your entries are misspelled, anyway... :)

And while I'm at it, let me settle a couple of recent date arguments once and for all:
  1. Disneyland opened its doors on July 17, 1955.
  2. And about that restaurant in Fullerton that used to be Pizza Hut, the one you claimed hadn't been a Pizza Hut in over 30 years? I'm telling you, for the record, I first noticed it was no longer a Pizza Hut in 1990. Besides, I worked there before joining the army in 1985. I think I know what I'm talking about here.

To everyone else, I'm sorry to vent like this, but sometimes my younger brother drives me up the wall (He'll tell you it's in his contract -- He has to).

There is more, believe me. But I have things to do right now. Hey, no rest for the wicked... :)

No comments: