Okay, here's the deal: You surf and scan and post and view all day long. Suddenly, your eyes turn red and your hands get carpal tunnel from all that squinting and clicking! I offer you a place for you to kick back, relax, toss back a (virtual) cold one or two, and just chill. So kick off your shoes at my little rest stop along the Information Superhighway!

Saturday, June 9, 2007

More Temecula (Part 1)

Well, I got back to Temecula on Wednesday night, and I checked into the Motel 6. I know, luxury accomodations, right? :)

Anyway, when I arrived on Thursday morning, it was quite obvious that we were running ahead of schedule. In the first picture, the first piece of the replacement section was already in place, and the second piece was nearly there. After the two pieces were laid in, a "butt strap" joined them together, as shown in the second picture.

As the day progressed, temporary platforms and walkways were put up for safe access into and out of the trench, and the ladders (at least most of them) were lashed to those platforms to secure them in place. Another ladder went into the manhole at the top of the replacement section, so that welders could go in and seal the seams from the inside.

I also had an important, if not labor-intensive, duty on Thursday: I was designated "top man", which means I was responsible for the accountability of those who entered the pipe. Basically, all I did was stand at the manhole and make people sign in and out on a clipboard as they entered and exited. Susan, the Site One supervisor, would later tell me that people were known to have been accidently sealed inside a pipe, and then subsequently killed by the reintroduction of water within it. Though I wasn't surprised to hear that, I didn't let it bother me because I am pretty sure that sort of thing hasn't happened in a long time.

The entire day was pretty much devoted to welding the pipe together, both inside and out. In this third shot, a welder named Gerardo tackles the installed joint on the outside. Note that the intensity of the torch is so bright, its center appears as a black dot in the picture! Now you know why you can't look directly at a welding torch in action without protection!

Oh, and I want to send a "thank you" to the people who manufacture those sunscreen wipes we use. I broke one out for the first time on Thursday, and I didn't get burned! You'd better believe I'll have plenty of those on hand in the future.

Up next, Friday, and I did something for the very first time!

No comments: