Okay, here's the deal: You surf and scan and post and view all day long. Suddenly, your eyes turn red and your hands get carpal tunnel from all that squinting and clicking! I offer you a place for you to kick back, relax, toss back a (virtual) cold one or two, and just chill. So kick off your shoes at my little rest stop along the Information Superhighway!

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

To SATA or Not to SATA, That Is the Question

Okay, I'm back, and it's about time, too!

I'll be honest here: I had two major problems when switching out my hard drive. First, I had to track down all the software I had installed. You're probably thinking "Why didn't you just migrate it?" Simple. My old drive was congested, full of bugs, and programs kept crashing on it. All the maintenance I could do eventually became worthless, necessitating this project. If I simply migrated from one disk to another, I'd have the same old problems on a new disk.

Speaking of the new disk, that was where I had my second problem. It seems the hard drive I bought was a SATA II drive. Now, in case you're not computer-savvy, there are three types of hard drives:
  • IDE (also called PATA, Ultra ATA, and ATA) - This is the standard which has been around since the 1980s. The connection looks like a wide grey ribbon, with a red stripe on one side.
  • SATA (also called SATA I)- Introduced a few years ago, SATA drives run faster and read data at a slightly higher rata than IDE. The connection is a relatively thin red cord.
  • SATA II - This looks, acts and smells like a SATA, only it's supposed to read twice as fast.

Anyway, long story short, no matter what I tried, my PC would not install this SATA II drive as the new boot disk. Apparently, the copy of Windows XP I have doesn't like SATA II (which is strange, because XP is supposed to be adaptable to newly-installed stuff). So, I took my PC over to Tom (He and my mother have been an item for... a while, and he's more tech-savvy than I am), and he had the same problem!

So, we re-packaged the SATA II (which I will return), and Tom gave me a 200GB SATA I, which works fine! By the way, the SATA II drive was only 160GB. Thanks, Tom! You are a god!

No comments: